Google Tag Manager Head

Friday, October 2, 2009

This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine

One of my friend at work told me she was getting an error on her computer. She mention that she was getting a message about Windows not genuine and being a victim of software counterfeiting. I told her I will format her computer and reinstall Windows.



Above is the pop up message she was getting on the lower right corner of her desktop as soon as she logged in to Windows. Me being a tech support for Dell before I remember fixing that error by deleting a specific registry. While she was making a back up of her files by moving it to the secondary drive on her computer I tried to search for a solution. I would like to avoid doing an OSRI (Operating System Reinstallation) because it consumes a lot of time. I found the solution and here is the registery that you need to delete. By the way, this is for Windows XP. Go to registry editor by typing regedit on the run command of windows. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify and then delete WgaLogon folder and all of its content. Reboot the computer and tada! its back to normal. She told me when she started getting that error she was not able to change her wall paper and that was fix too.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know that friend of yours is LElay :).
    Anyways, i had this issue last last weekend.
    What I did instead of deleting that registry (cuz' i never knew about it before), is that I did a system restore. I remember it started after my pc did an update.

    Also CJ told me to disable windows update because once your PC send an information to Microsoft and download an update it will detect that your OS is not genuine or what so ever.
    AFter that, this message is not showing up anymore. APIR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. System restore is also a good idea but just in case if have installed any apps that will be removed as well. the possibility of getting the error is also there since the registry that causing the message to pop up is still there. APIR Din! he he he... btw i already received the application form from mystery shopper hmmmm

    ReplyDelete