Google Tag Manager Head

Monday, September 28, 2009

Colgate not Available at SM

I usually buy our groceries at SM supermarket. I noticed that there is no Colgate. At first I thought they are out of stock but then when I came back they are not available again. Then one day one of my officemate told me that he read on inquirer about the issue between SM and Colgate-Palmolive. It is not only Colgate which is not available but all Colgate-Palmolive products. I don't patronize palmolive so I didn't notice it. It was only then I realized that axion is also their product that is why it is not available as well.

I searched online about their issue and you can read the news on this link. They have billing issues that is not yet settled. On the article it says that SM is insisting on a payment period that is beyond normal for FMCG items. 

SM is almost everywhere so a lot of people are shopping there. Although it is convenient to go there if you notice their products is actually higher compare to other stores like Robinson, Walmart, Puregold, Landmark etc. They don't have much competitor on each location so they can demand from their clients. I've read in pinoyexchange about how SM would ask for donation to promote their 3 day sale. They would also asked for donation when they will open a new branch, she said it is called opening support. If the client would not pay SM would not order items from them. The source was from a lady who worked as a sales rep for manufacturing company handling SM accounts.

It looks like SM is trying to monopolize the market. They had this issue before with Star Cinema as well. I hope there would be more competitors near SM vicinities. It just so happen that there competitor is not as big as they are and cannot put up a store everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment