Google Tag Manager Head

Friday, February 27, 2009

Life of a Technical Support Agent

I've been working as a Technical Support Agent for about 4 years. I was with Etelecare in Libis Eastwood for almost 2 years. Then I worked with Dell Intl. Services in MOA (Mall of Asia) for two years and now I am with APC (American Power Conversion) for 9months.

Life of a Technical Support Agent is quite hard. You need to have both the technical knowledge and customer service skills. Through those years I learned a lot on how to troubleshoot over the phone, give instructions to customers , sympathize with them, have patience (a lot of it), acknowledge their needs etc...

Earlier today I got irate to one of my customers. Though I am mad, I cannot fight with him since he is our "customer". This is the hard part of it, when the customer is getting below the belt and talking to you like someone without feelings.

Those of you who have worked or working as a customer service rep might have experience this one time or another. My heart wants to explode, thank God I don't have highblood or hypertension because I might get an attack during incidents like this.

This customer of mine earlier, shouted at me insulted me and even called me an idiot. I wanted to shout back, but I don't want to lose my job. All I can do is accept all the insults and keep quiet. Do you know how it feels when you're so angry and you can't express your feelings. I'm getting teary eyed, my heart is beating so fast, my hands are getting cold and I really wanted to explode.

What I did is I put the customer on hold for a few minutes and release my tension by shouting and talking to my friends on the floor. I went back to the customer and replace the defective unit but then after the call, I still feel the pain and tension within me. That's why I wrote this article to release more of what I feel.

All of us are costumers in different ways. We all deserve good service but we should also think that those people we are dealing with are just doing there job. We should know how to fight for our rights without hurting others and we should treat everybody with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment