Google Tag Manager Head

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Leadership vs Management

I applied for a Team Leader post at work but was not able to make it. Even though that is the case I did learn a lot. I need to improve the tone of my voice so that it will be more convincing selling my self. Also while studying about leadership I was able to read about leadership and management and difference between the two. 

Manager is more focused on systems and infrastructure.
Leader is a people's person and is more focused on his/her team.
Managing is about efficiency. Leading is about effectiveness.
Managing is about how. Leading is about what and why.
Management is about system, control, procedures, policies and structure. Leadership is about trust - about people.

Leader draw people to them by enrolling them in their vision. What leaders do is inspire people, empower them. They pull rather that push. This pull style of leadership attracts and energizes people to enroll in a vision of the future. It motivates the people in helping them identify with the task and goal rather than by rewarding or punishing them.

To manage means to bring about, to accomplish, to have charge of responsibility, to conduct.
Leading is influencing, guiding in direction, course, action and opinion.

For me it goes hand in hand. You must know when to manage and when to lead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment